Tour of Oman: Kristoff Victorious on Stage 4
Mascate, Feb 17 (Prensa Latina) Katusha-Alpecin''s Alexander Kristoff took his second stage win of the 2017 Tour of Oman as he managed to stay in contention over three tough climbs in the final 45km to out-sprint Sonny Colbrelli (Bahrain-Merida) and Greg Van Avermaet (BMC Racing).
The Norwegian rider had already proved that he was the fastest sprinter in the race with his win on stage one.
The climbs close to the finish slimmed down the field significantly, and the final ascent saw an elite group of 15 riders go off the front.
Overall leader Ben Hermans (BMC Racing) finished safely in the front group to hold on to his red jersey.
Alexander Kristoff had already proved that he is the fastest sprinter in the race on stage one, and after managing to stay in the peloton over the tough final climbs,comfortable winning the final sprint for the line.
Saturday will see the climbers have more of an opportunity to take the race by the scruff of the neck, with a summit finish at Jebel Akhdar before the race finishes with another sprint stage on Sunday.
Tour of Oman 2017, stage four (118km)
1. Alexander Kristoff (Nor) Katusha-Alpecin, in 2-50-29
2. Sonny Colbrelli (Ita) Bahrain-Merida
3. Greg Van Avermaet (Bel) BMC Racing
4. Nathan Haas (Aus) Dimension Data
5. Marko Kump (Slo) UAE Abu Dhabi
General classification after stage four
1. Ben Hermans (Bel) BMC Racing, in 13-50-41
2. Rui Costa (Por) UAE Abu Dhabi, at 5 secs
3. Jakob Fuglsang (Den) Astana, at 13 secs
4. Merhawi Kudus (Eri), Dimension Data, at 21 secs
5. David de la Cruz (Esp) Quick-Step Floors, at 22 secs
|By the minute||Most read|