During a plenary session of the Knesset (parliament), Defense Minister Benny Gantz reiterated his Government’s thesis to hold Tehran responsible for the explosion that occurred last Friday on the Mercer Street ship, as a result of which two people were killed.
Since then, several officials, including Prime Minister Naftalí Bennett, have accused Iran of the incident, without showing any evidence, though.
Iran’s aggression in the region in general and in the seafront in particular is intensifying, so ‘we must act now,’ Gantz said.
On Sunday, the spokesman for the Iranian Foreign Ministry, Said Khatibzadeh, described Israel’s accusations as unfounded, and he warned on Monday that his country will not hesitate ‘when it comes to protecting its security and national interests and will respond quickly and firmly to any possible adventure.’
Bennett claimed on Sunday that he was certain of Iran’s alleged participation in the incident, but he did not present any corroborating evidence either.
‘We know how to send the message to Iran in our own way,’ the head of government warned.
The threats coincide with the announcement last week of more funding for the Israeli Army in 2022.