Its construction was authorized by King Philip II of Spain in 1564 and completed in 1577 under the supervision of Mayor Don Rengifo de Angulo.
The work is located at the end of the abovementioned city’s seawall and was built to protect that area from pirate and French and English corsair attacks. In the mid-19th century, it was used as a prison, where the nation’s hero, Juan Pablo Duarte, was jailed before being sent to exile.
The monument was first repaired, following orders by Dominican military officer and politician, Gregorio Luperón, during his brief term of office, and in the 1970s it was completely renovated.
The site’s entry and exit is a draw bridge, which was opened with the enemies on top so that they would fall into a moat full of stakes, built as traps for those who dared enter the building to take over the fortress.
The old infrastructure is currently a museum showing original cannons facing the Atlantic Ocean, antique weapons and a large number of secret chambers.
From its walls you can watch the surrounding ocean and part of the city on one side of La Puntilla Park.
The beautiful and quiet place also home to the monument to Cuban hero Antonio Maceo.
Taken from Orbe weekly