The second institution of its kind founded in Cuba recalls its origins, when it was founded out of the provincial government headquarters, accompanied by the Demajagua bell, the same bell that Carlos Manuel de Cespedes rang on that day in his mill.
The celebration is an opportunity to review those seven decades and five years, with the antecedent of the San Basilio el Magno Seminary, the first higher education center in Cuba, located in the current premises of the Office of the City Conservator.
These evocations emphasize the leading role of the university community in the insurrectional struggle against the dictatorship of Fulgencio Batista (1952-1958), which led to the suspension of classes in November 1956 as part of the support of the University Student Federation and professors to the insurgent 26th of July Movement.
With an initial enrollment of 170 students and the city’s School of Commerce as its first campus, the UO’s founding majors were Education, Philosophy and Letters, Law, Commercial Sciences and Industrial Chemical Engineering.
The visits of Historic Leader of the Cuban Revolution, Fidel Castro; the Argentine-Cuban guerrilla commander Ernesto Che Guevara; Army General Raul Castro; former Chemical Engineering student, Vilma Espin, and former President Osvaldo Dorticos, are milestones in this historical journey.