Tuesday, June 06, 2023
name of Prensa Latina
Bandera inglesa
English Edition
name of Prensa Latina



Rains forecast but water runs out in Uruguayan towns

Rains forecast but water runs out in Uruguayan towns

Montevideo, Mar 15 (Prensa Latina) Meteorologists forecast rains for this week in Uruguay, but today's water situation is critical in the interior of the country, hit by persistent drought.

In Minas, the capital city of the department of Lavalleja (center-east), there is water for a week and the State Sanitary Works Administration (OSE) is pumping water from lagoons in private properties, while the Santa Lucia river is cut off according to aerial verifications.

In normal situations, 40 percent of the drinking water consumed in Minas is extracted from the Santa Lucia river and the other 60 percent comes from the depleted San Francisco stream.

It is imperative for the OSE to carry out actions in the riverbed, and it is on private land, Environment Minister Robert Bouvier pointed out.

Bouvier, together with Lavalleja Mayor Mario Garcia and OSE President Raul Montero, met with the owners of the fields where the lagoons are located to evaluate the operations they carry out together, their duration and intensity.

With the approval of the owners, it was decided to pump 50 liters per second as a palliative measure, which ensures the supply for one more week, according to press reports.

Among the measures taken, the OSE reduced the water pressure that supplies Minas, in order to reduce losses and consumption.

All eyes are on the sky, but decisions are made on the ground, where the OSE is looking for alternatives.


name of Prensa Latina

| Text SMS to 8100 with content PL
Receive 4 mesages x 25 cup

© 2016-2021 Prensa Latina
Latin American News Agency

Radio – Publications  – Videos – News by the minute.
All Rigts Reserved.

St. E No 454 , Vedado,  Habana, Cuba.
Phones: (+53) 7 838 3496, (+53) 7 838 3497, (+53) 7 838 3498, (+53) 7 838 3499
Prensa Latina © 2021 .

Web Site developed by IT Division  Prensa Latina.