Tuesday, May 21, 2024
name of Prensa Latina
Bandera inglesa
English Edition
Search
Close this search box.
name of Prensa Latina

NEWS

NEWS

Indian university students boycotted event with US ambassador

New Delhi, Apr 30 (Prensa Latina) Indian students boycotted an event with United States Ambassador, Erick Garcetti, at the Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU), protesting Washington's support to Israel. The gathering was canceled.

The diplomat was scheduled to deliver a lecture on relations between India and the United States at the invitation of the university mangement, according to a social media post by the People Dispatch communication project.

The vice-president of the Jawaharlal Nehru University Students’ Union (JNUSU), Avjit Ghosh, confirmed that upon learning of the event schedule, members of his organization and other students staged a demonstration of solidarity with the Palestinians and against the imperialist policies of the US government.

“The activity was canceled due to student pressure, which we consider a victory,” announced the university leader, who explained that the students are aware of the United States’ support for Israel in its war against the Palestinians, and ratified his rejection of any form of imperialism that manifests itself in the world. “That is why we protested against the invitation to the American diplomat at the Jawaharlal Nehru University Convention Centre,” he noted.

Solidarity organizations, student movements, and political parties such as the Indian National Congress and the Communist Party of India (Marxist) have expressed their total condemnation of the Tel Aviv massacre in the occupied territories and support the cause for the liberation of the Palestinian people.

The Indian government has reiterated its support for a solution to the Israeli-Palestinian crisis through political dialogue and diplomacy, leading to the creation of two independent States.

jrr/llp/lam/lrd

LATEST NEWS
RELATED