Tuesday, November 30, 2021

NEWS

Hundreds of UK citizens stranded in Afghanistan after evacuation ends

Hundreds of UK citizens stranded in Afghanistan after evacuation ends

London, Aug 31 (Prensa Latina) United Kingdom's Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab on Tuesday said that hundreds of British citizens have been stranded in Afghanistan after the evacuation of foreign troops ended, and admitted that leaving the country will be difficult.
Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on whatsapp
Share on telegram
Share on email

Speaking to Sky News, Raab said they are ‘a few hundred’ whose eligibility to be evacuated was unclear because they lacked documents.

The head of British diplomacy assured that his office is in contact with third parties to facilitate the procedures in case that these people can reach countries such as Pakistan.

The United Kingdom concluded on Sunday the evacuation of its citizens and the Afghans who collaborated with the British troops during the 20-year occupation of Afghanistan by the US-led international coalition.

Washington also withdrew on Monday its last soldiers, in compliance with the agreement reached in 2020 with the Taliban movement, which regained power on August 15 after two decades of fight, and took full control of Kabul’s airport on Tuesday.

According to Raab, the evacuation operation began in April and since then, more than 17,000 people, among British citizens and Afghan collaborators, have been taken out of Afghanistan.

pgh/iff/npg/nm

RELATED
ÚLTIMO MINUTO
name of Prensa Latina

| Text SMS to 8100 with content PL
Receive 4 mesages x 25 cup

© 2016-2021 Prensa Latina
Latin American News Agency

Radio – Publications  – Videos – News by the minute.
All Rigts Reserved.

St. E No 454 , Vedado,  Habana, Cuba.
Phones: (+53) 7 838 3496, (+53) 7 838 3497, (+53) 7 838 3498, (+53) 7 838 3499
Prensa Latina © 2021 .

Web Site developed by IT Division  Prensa Latina.