High Commissioner Volker Türk recalled his calls for an inquiry into reports of alleged rape during the Palestinian resistance group’s incursion into Israeli territory on October 7.
It is painfully clear that the heinous attacks must be thoroughly and independently investigated; that is what we owe to the victims, the representative told the media from Geneva.
The Human Rights Office issued a request to Israel in the second week of October to allow access for a team of UN human rights investigators.
However, so far the request remains unanswered, the high commissioner recalled.
“I have reiterated this request and I hope that it will be heeded,” he added.
Türk called for not losing sight of the catastrophic scenes unfolding in the enclave because of Israel’s attacks while insisting on the need for a ceasefire for countries with influence over the belligerents to protect civilians as a priority, in accordance with the laws of war.
“The pattern of attacks targeting or impacting civilian infrastructure raises serious questions about Israel’s compliance with international humanitarian law and significantly raises the risk of atrocity crimes,” the high commissioner’s office said earlier.
All parties are aware of what is really needed to achieve peace and security for the Palestinian and Israeli peoples; violence and revenge can only lead to more hatred and radicalization, he lamented.