Wednesday, August 19, 2026
name of Prensa Latina
Bandera inglesa
English Edition
Search
Close this search box.
name of Prensa Latina

NEWS

NEWS

Russian Embassy denies deceiving Peruvians who enlisted in its troops

Lima, Aug 17 (Prensa Latina) The Embassy of the Russian Federation denied that Peruvians who enlisted in that country's armed forces—11 of whom have died in the war with Ukraine—were deceived.

The diplomatic mission issued a statement regarding a meeting held last week on the matter between Peruvian Foreign Minister Carlos Espá, Russian Ambassador Aleksei Ushakov, and relatives of the Peruvians involved.

The document refers to media reports claiming that certain unidentified individuals “deceived Peruvian citizens to bring them to Russia, where they were allegedly forced to sign contracts with the Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation.”

It adds that “everyone who signed said contracts was of sound mind and fully aware of the document’s provisions, the conditions of military service, the associated risks, and the rights and obligations of the parties involved.”

It also clarifies that Russia fulfills its obligations arising from said contracts and highly values ​​the contribution of Peruvian nationals who, alongside Russian military personnel, are carrying out duties within the framework of the Special Military Operation.

The embassy adds that Moscow pays close attention to requests from the Peruvian side regarding each enlisted citizen and reaffirms its willingness to continue comprehensive engagement with Lima on a wide range of issues.

According to the Peruvian Foreign Ministry, 459 Peruvians have enlisted in Russia; of these, 11 deaths have been confirmed, 114 are missing, three were captured by the Ukrainian army, and 31 were evacuated from Russia, with 28 returning to their home country.

jdt/oda/mrs

LATEST NEWS
RELATED