Monday, May 23, 2022
name of Prensa Latina
Bandera inglesa
English Edition
name of Prensa Latina



Kidnappings in Haiti increase threefold in a month

Kidnappings in Haiti increase threefold in a month

Port-au-Prince, May 5 (Prensa Latina) Haiti's Center for Analysis and Research in Human Rights reported 91 kidnappings in April, more than three times compared to the previous month, according to a report disclosed on Wednesday.
Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on whatsapp
Share on telegram
Share on email

The Center’s Crime Observation Unit revealed that 46 percent of cases occurred during the first two weeks of the month, before the resignation of Prime Minister Joseph Jouthe, while the remaining 54 percent occurred under the leadership of his successor, Claude Joseph.

The capital is the most unsafe area, with 59 percent of reported kidnappings, followed by the Croix des Bouquets suburb, about 10 kilometers from Port-au-Prince, with 22 percent, and Carrefour, located on the southern outskirts of the country’s main city, with 19 percent.

The institution noted that this phenomenon affects all social classes and, in most cases, kidnappers demand between 100,000 and one million dollars to release the victims, thus forcing their families to sell their properties and borrow money to pay the ransom.

In the first four months of the year alone, the institution reported 248 kidnappings, some of which involved minors who were sexually abused.

On Tuesday, the head of Government stated that these cases were related to projects boosted by the Executive to renew the political personnel and modify the Constitution in force.

‘Everybody is aware of the political dimension, but they cannot document it,’ Joseph said at his first press conference after taking office, and criticized those who use that practice to elude the polls.

President Jovenel Moïse also said on the weekend that 80 percent of kidnappings are political, and threatened to arrest the perpetrators.


name of Prensa Latina

| Text SMS to 8100 with content PL
Receive 4 mesages x 25 cup

© 2016-2021 Prensa Latina
Latin American News Agency

Radio – Publications  – Videos – News by the minute.
All Rigts Reserved.

St. E No 454 , Vedado,  Habana, Cuba.
Phones: (+53) 7 838 3496, (+53) 7 838 3497, (+53) 7 838 3498, (+53) 7 838 3499
Prensa Latina © 2021 .

Web Site developed by IT Division  Prensa Latina.