The Louisiana Department of Health warned that massive carbon monoxide poisonings was due to household equipment that runs on gasoline and electric generators, used during blackouts. The Louisiana health authorities called on locals to place generators, which are too dangerous due to toxic gases expulsion, 20 feet away from home, and for a carbon monoxide detector to be set up.
‘Never run a generator indoors or outside near an open window,’ the Department warned.
Carbon monoxide cannot be seen or smelled, so poisoning can occur in minutes without the person noticing, while blood’s ability to carry oxygen to the body’s organs and tissues is weakened.
The health agency urged Louisiana families to place an emissions detector at home and see a doctor for headaches, dizziness, weakness, upset stomach, vomiting, chest pain and confusion, which the health department compared to being flue like.
Power is slowly being restored throughout Louisiana and Mississippi after more than 1 million people were left without electricity from the Category 4 Hurricane Ida.
There are still over 400,000 people without power more than a week after the hurricane hit, according to poweroutage.us.
pgh/Pll/mgt / age