Saturday, June 22, 2024
name of Prensa Latina
Bandera inglesa
English Edition
Search
Close this search box.
name of Prensa Latina

NEWS

NEWS

Deaths due to viral hepatitis increase in the world

Geneva, Apr 11 (Prensa Latina) About 3,500 people die daily on the planet due to hepatitis B and C infections, according to a report on this disease by the World Health Organization (WHO).

The WHO reports new data from 187 countries showing an increase in the estimated number of deaths from viral hepatitis from 1.1 million in 2019 to 1.3 million in 2022.

Of those deaths, 83 percent were caused by hepatitis B, and the remaining 17 percent by hepatitis C.

Based on the UN specialized agency’s World Hepatitis Report 2024, the number of lives lost due to viral hepatitis is increasing, and the disease is the second leading infectious cause of death globally along with tuberculosis.

The report, published at the World Hepatitis Summit, which runs until Thursday in Lisbon, Portugal, highlights that despite the existence of better diagnostic and treatment tools, and the decrease in the price of products, the rates of testing and therapeutic coverage have reached a steady level.

As explained by the WHO, it is still possible to achieve the goal of eliminating this disease by 2030, if rapid measures are taken now.

jrr/jav/jcm/abm

LATEST NEWS
RELATED