Azerbaijan says Armenia disregards peace treaty proposal
Baku, Jul 26 (Prensa Latina) Azeri Foreign Minister Jeyhun Bayramov stated on Monday that his country has not received a response from Armenia regarding the proposal to start working on a peace treaty and defining the common border.
Bayramov told a joint press conference with his Serbian counterpart, Nikola Selakovic, that 'unfortunately, we are yet to receive a reaction from the Armenian side to these steps of good will.'
According to TASS news agency, the official pointed out that this position harms peace and progress in the region and Armenia itself.
'It is important for everyone to understand that there is no need to make up something new in order to guarantee sustainable peace in the region. There is a simple formula: abiding by the fundamental rules of International Law. Azerbaijan sticks exactly to this position,' he said.
The conflict around Nagorno-Karabakh escalated from late September to November 9, 2020, when Armenia, Azerbaijan and Russia signed a joint statement on a total cease of hostilities in the region.
The troops from Azerbaijan and Armenia halted in the occupied positions, several areas went under Baku's control, and Russian peacekeepers were deployed along the front-line and the Lachin corridor.
Since then, there have been reports of sporadic border skirmishes, while calls are made to legitimize the final definition of the border between both countries.
|By the minute||Most read|